Animal Intake

Stray Animals

The New Nodaway Humane Society is contracted with the cities of Barnard, Burlington Junction, Hopkins, Maryville, Pickering and Skidmore to provide animal control. We provide animal control as needed to Ravenwood and Graham — meaning the mayor or city contact can request our service.

In general, animal control means we will respond to cases of abuse and at-large dogs. Animal control does not include stray cats unless there is an city ordinance regarding at-large cats.

Stray animals found from a non-serviced city or from outside the county are subject to intake fees.

We follow a mandatory 5 business day holding period for all stray animals to give owners time to find their lost pet. If an owner has been identified, we allow 10 business days to claim before placing the animal up for adoption. When claiming, owners should expect to pay a $20 processing fee plus $10 per day for care while at the shelter.

Owner Surrender

There are many reasons a family can no longer care for a pet, and we’re here to help. Here’s what to bring with you:

  • A completed owner surrender form (see below)
  • All veterinary records
  • Your pet’s medications
  • Special food or treats that your pet needs
  • Your intake fee is payable in cash, credit card or check

Animal Intake Fees (for stray and owner surrender)

Fees are based on a single animal. Additional fees may be incurred for multiple animals including litters*.

Nodaway County Outside County
Owner Release $25 $50
Stray $20 donation $20
Pocket Pet $10 donation $10

* Generally, for litters, we charge the fee above for the mother plus $10 per baby.

Intake Forms